Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fresh Vegetables with Honey Vinaigrette


Mother's Day now has taken on a deeper meaning for me.  With my sons off to college and my mother passing away, I get very philosophical on Mother's Day.  I found myself rereading The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.  I like to read it every so often to get a perspective on what's important in life.  Now that it is finally spring I thought I'd add this recipe I learned in Florence.   While I'm cooking I always choose music that relates to my mood and what I'm working with.  Today while making this dish I listened to John Mellencamp sing "Save Some Time To Dream".   I hope you enjoy this recipe.



What is so wonderful about this healthy vegetable dish is that it can be served warm or room temperature.

Experiment - if you have broccoli or cauliflower in your home add those as well.

Serves 8

3-5 potatoes, peeled and cup in 1/4
3-5 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
8-10 asparagus, discard bottom part and cut in 2” pieces
10 green beans, cut off ends and cut in 2” pieces
1 green onion, cut in 2” pieces
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey - the thick kind
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt

Boil water with some salt in it and throw in vegetables:
            Potatoes and carrots for 10 minutes
            Add asparagus for 5 minutes
            Add green beans for last 3 minutes
Strain vegetables until completely dry.

In a blender mix the spring or green onion with parsley, soy sauce, honey, oil, vinegar.
Blend until creamy - add salt only if needed.

Toss vegetables with this wonderful green dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment