Saturday, February 1, 2014

TOASTED FARRO SOUP WITH KALE AND WHITE BEANS


Something that I wanted to do in the new year is to experiment with a variety of grains.  Growing up in an Irish/Italian home in New Jersey we mostly had pasta, with an occasional rice dish (stuffed peppers with white rice), and barley only in my mother's beef barley soup.  Now when I go grocery shopping I'm amazed at the variety of grains - things I have never heard of never mind eaten before.

This soup is delicious - please try it.  It's loaded with vegetables, it's really healthy, and it's satisfying!

Adapted from a Bon Appetite recipe in January 2014 issue

1 medium onion, chopped
1 small fennel bulb, cored and chopped
2 carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
3 oz. pancetta, cut into ¼” pieces
1 cup faro
1 can of tomato paste (6 oz.)
¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8-12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4-5 leaves of kale, stems cut away, coarsely chopped
1 15oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed
Kosher salt and crushed black pepper
Shaved Parmesan (for serving)

The recipe called for spelt and for putting vegetables in Cuisinart to chop but I really liked farro with this and chopped vegetables myself without bothering to take out Cuisinart.  You can always substitute escarole for kale.

Chop your onion, fennel, carrots, celery and garlic. 
Heat your olive oil in a big soup pot and add your pancetta – cook for approximately 3 minutes until pancetta turns golden.
Add farro – stir often, until grain turns darker – approximately 3 minutes.
Add onion, fennel, carrots, celery and garlic – sauté until veggies get soft – approximately 6-8 minutes.
Add tomato paste and red pepper flakes – cook about 1 minute.
Add broth to pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer partially covered until farro is tender – approximately 60 minutes.  (I generally do 8 cups but what I found is the next day the farro absorbs a lot of the broth so I then add more broth the next day.  I always make soups 1 day in advance).
Stir in kale and beans – cook another 4 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Served drizzled with olive oil and topped with fresh parmesan.

I always make my soup 1 day in advance – it enhances the flavors.







No comments:

Post a Comment