Thursday, August 11, 2011

Penne with Spicy Sausage and Sweet Pepper Sauce


My painter chose this recipe to be added to my blog this month.  He's really cute.  With his shirt off and his sunglasses on he reminds me of Tom Cruise in Risky Business.  I may have to have my house painted annually!


This sauce can and probably should be made in advance.  I’ve made it for my book group and they loved it.   This is one of Gregory’s favorites.

Serves 8 - 10 
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 red onion
1 shallot
2 celery stalks
2 carrots
3 hot Italian sausages (pork or chicken or combo)
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
4 tablespoons red wine
1 box Pomi strained tomatoes 26 oz. (if you can’t find use 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes)
Basil (fresh or dried)
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

Clean and cut up veggies very small (I use the Cuisinart and pulse)
Heat oil and butter on low in your sauté pan.
Add onion, shallot, celery, and carrots and cook gently 4-6 minutes.
Push veggies to outside of pan and add sausage, which is pushed out of casing.
(I know this is gross but it is necessary.  You want the sausage to be broken up).
Constantly break up the sausage so it stays crumbled - sauté 2-3 minutes.
Add peppers to Cuisinart and pulse or cut up finely.
Add peppers to pan - sauté 4 minutes combining all ingredients.
Add wine to moisten mixture – cook 3-4 minutes.
Add tomatoes and stir well - cook gently another 4 minutes.
Add basil, salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with penne.


No comments:

Post a Comment