Sunday, June 2, 2013

CHICKEN MARSALA LUNCH


I made lunch for a friend who just had surgery and I decided on Chicken Marsala, Green Beans with Butter, and Roasted Potatoes with fresh Thyme.  I love giving the gift of food as it makes people happy.  While I was making the marsala, my eldest son was passing the stove as I added a big pad of butter at the very end of cooking the chicken dish.  Since my sons are starting to cook and choose healthier dishes, he questioned why I added the butter at the end.  I answered that it adds an almost "velvet" texture to the dish.  This reminded me of a conversation I had recently with a food writer about  FOOD AND FASHION.  Food can be described like fabric because we discuss the texture of food or the color.  My father described dishes he made as "beautiful" so I grew up with hearing food described with love and affection.  I guess that's also why I love cooking for my family, friends, and my neighbors - it's how I show my love for them and my wish to make them happy.


Serves 6

6 chicken cutlets* (cut into 2” strips)
Salt and pepper (use sea salt - it’s the best and white pepper if you have it)
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons flour, more if necessary
8 oz. white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3/4 cup Marsala wine (dry - you can use sweet if that’s all you have)
1 cup veal (or chicken) demi-glace
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon flat leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped for garnish

Season chicken pieces on both sides with salt and pepper.
In a large sauté pan, heat the canola oil and olive oil.
Dredge in flour, shaking off excess.  I shake in a zip lock bag.
Add chicken to pan and sauté for about 2 minutes each side.
Take pieces out and continue with others - keep chicken pieces warm on a plate.
Add mushrooms to pan and sauté until soft.
Place chicken back in pan on top of the mushrooms.
Add Marsala wine and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add demi-glace and shake pan to thicken sauce.
Add butter and shake pan again to emulsify sauce.
Scatter parsley over for garnish.

*Could substitute veal filets for chicken but be careful to not overcook the veal.


No comments:

Post a Comment